National Capitol Area Warfighter Refractive Eye Surgery Program, Fort Drum Extension
ONLY active duty Soldiers and Soldiers on active orders that meet program requirements are eligible to participate. Solders eligible for treatment will be given the opportunity to receive treatment, by order of priority (see Commander Guidance), at Fort Belvoir's and Fort Bragg’s refractive surgery clinics.
- 21 years old or older with at least 6 months Time-In-Service remaining on date of surgery.
- Discontinue all Contact Lens wear for 2 weeks prior to evaluation as well as surgery.
- A minimum of 2 prescriptions at least 1 year apart from each other.
Patients are ineligible for surgery if they:
- Are not on active duty or on active duty orders.
- If on active duty orders, must be on orders for a minimum of 6 months with at least 6 months left on orders.
- Are within 6 months of a deployment or have had a history of traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- Are pregnant or nursing or plan on becoming pregnant in the next 12 months.
- Have had the Small Pox vaccine in the past 3 months, Flu Mist vaccine or any other live virus vaccine in the past month.
- Have used Immetrex, Accutane, or Corticosteroids (Prednisone, Cortisone, Triamcinolone, etc.) in the past 12 months.
- Not on station for 90 days past date of surgery.
To schedule an evaluation, call 315-772-2234.
If you have had a full exam within the past year, you may only need the additional tests necessary for an evaluation. If your last exam, a year or older, was completed by a civilian Doctor, a copy of that exam will need to be brought in.
If medically qualified, the doctor will issue a consult form. Following submission instructions on the consult form, the completed packet will need to be submitted to Fort Drum Optometry by turning it in at P10501 Euphrates River Valley.
All travel will be TDY for any Soldier in the 10th Mountain Division. Soldiers are required to have an escort to travel to and from the surgery location. The patient is not authorized to drive or fly to or from the surgery location and no driving to and from appointments while there.
If you have any questions, please contact the Optometry Clinic front desk at (315) 772-2234.