Nutrition Counseling and Education
The Fort Drum Medical Activity offers a broad range of nutritional services designed to deliver patient-centered healthcare to active-duty service members, families and retirees. Our Registered Dietitian provides evidence-based medical nutrition therapy, nutrition education, and counseling to assist you in modifying your diet to improve your health, fitness, and performance.
Nutrition Services Provided
- Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Nutrition education for staff
- Nutrition briefings for units
- Community outreach and wellness activities
Virtual appointments available for most nutrition concerns.
What is a Registered Dietitian (RD)?
Registered Dietitians are qualified medical professionals who provide evidence-based nutrition counseling and education. Dietitians must complete schooling and pass a nationally accredited exam to earn credentials (RD/RDN), while a 'nutritionist' does not require education or a national accreditation. An RD provides expert nutrition advice to help create sustainable habits.
An RD can help with:
How to Schedule an Appointment
- Nutrition Classes
- Healthy Diet
- Meal Planning
- Weight Management
- Sports and Performance
- Supplement Education
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Heart Disease
- Heart, Kidney, Liver Diseases
- Bariatric Nutrition (pre & post)
- Chronic Diarrhea/Constipation
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Pregnancy/Postpartum Nutrition
- Pediatric Nutrition
- Vegetarian/Vegan diet
- ABCP - Army Body Composition Program (AR 600-9 Memo)
- Eating Disorders
- Reflux (GERD)
- Sports Nutrition
- Kidney Failure
- Celiac Disease
- Your provider (PCM) can send a referral and our assistant will call to set-up an individual appointment or nutrition class.
- You can self-refer by calling our appointment line at 315-772-6404.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
- Initial appointments last 60 minutes.
- Review of medical history, eating habits, exercise, food allergies, preferences, etc.
- Receive education and address barriers.
- Set sustainable goals to improve nutrition.
- Schedule 30-minute follow-up to evaluate progress and address ongoing concerns.
*Army Body Composition Program (ABCP)
Two interactive classes providing nutrition guidance for Soldiers who are flagged or within 2% of being out of weight standards. These classes fulfill the requirements of AR 600-9 and create sustainable nutrition habits for Soldiers to lower body fat.
*Managing My Diabetes
A 60-minute workshop focused on the nutrition needs of patients with diabetes, debunks diabetic food myths, and teaches how to lower A1c and control blood glucose. After attending class, clients will be booked for an individual 60-minute session with an RD.
*Nutrition for Heart Health
A 60-minute nutrition class focused on debunking heart health food myths and teaching nutrition application skills to help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. After attending class, clients will be booked for an individual 60-minute session with an RD.
*Weight Loss without Dieting
This 60-minute nutrition class debunks dieting myths, explains the negative health impact of restrictive eating and teaches the initial skills needed to create a plan for sustainable weight loss. After attending class, clients will be booked for an individual 60-minute session with an RD.
*Picky Eating Classes
This 4-part nutrition series focuses on skills to help your picky eater try new foods and tools to reduce stress at mealtimes. This class will include an educational component, group discussion, hands-on activities, and goal setting to help implement skills at home.
Soldier Performance Nutrition Classes
Group performance nutrition education is available to enhance the physical performance of Soldier Athletes. Whether it is preparing for the field, a deployment, the ACFT, or Thursday rucks, the nutrition clinic can support your unit’s needs. Please contact a minimum of 4-weeks out to schedule a date and time.
A Dietitian is available to talk with community groups and at events on any nutrition topic desired. Please contact a minimum of 4-weeks out to schedule a date and time.
* Classes held at Army Wellness Center